Procurement Program Refresh (2020 – 2021)
BCLC identified a need to re-examine their sustainable procurement program, which had not been reaching its full potential. To better align their procurement practices with their newly adopted Social Purpose and corporate sustainability goals, BCLC was looking for a roadmap to refresh their program and ensure its longevity.
Working with a core team of representatives from both the Supply Management and Social Purpose & Sustainability teams, Reeve set-out on a 2-phased approach.
The first phase focussed on looking at industry best practices and benchmarking BCLC’s current sustainable procurement program to identify strengths, gaps, and recent success stories. From here, Reeve engaged with internal stakeholders to formulate a Sustainable Procurement Implementation Strategy that would provide a roadmap for program development over the next three years.
In Phase 2, the team delved into the development of a few key program elements, as outlined in the Implementation Strategy. These included:
- A Sustainable Procurement Policy ready to enter the approvals process;
- A set of Tools to support procurement staff and Client Departments with incorporating sustainability throughout the procurement process;
- A High Impact Procurement Opportunities (HIPO) List of upcoming procurements and piloting of the new sustainable procurement Tools in a select number of procurements;
- A Communications & Training Plan to help guide the dissemination of information and identify key audiences to train; and
- Updated processes to collect and measure sustainable procurement KPI’s.
BCLC staff and senior leadership now have a much deeper understanding of what a high-performing sustainable procurement program entails, along with their own Strategy to guide the building out of such a program that will align with their Social Purpose and sustainability values.
After a year of working with Reeve, BCLC also got a kick-start on several key foundational elements of their program – giving them the tools and knowledge to become self-sufficient and evolve their practices over time.